Company: Sunland Asphalt
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Job DescriptionSUNLAND ASPHALTBuild your career from the ground
up. Come join our Award Winning Team.Sunland Asphalt &
Construction, LLC. strives to recruit top talent and we are
committed to help you grow both professionally and personally. We
are confident you will find our Company a dynamic and rewarding
place in which to work because here at Sunland Asphalt our vision
is: 'To be the best place in the world to work.' Voted as one of
Phoenix Business Journal's 'Best Places to Work,' Sunland offers
- Competitive Weekly Pay and Paid Time Off
- Work/Life Balance and Community Involvement
- Comprehensive Health Benefits including; Health, Dental,
- Award Winning Peers & Projects
- And A Foundation Built on SafetyPOSITION PURPOSEThe Grade
Checker set grade stakes to guide earth moving equipment operators
in sloping highways and fill embankments. Grade checkers may also
perform a variety of physical tasks to include operating heavy
equipment and machinery and using power tools and/or hand tools as
defined by each job/project. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Employee shall perform all duties and responsibilities with
Sunland's Core Values at the forefront.
- Sets grade stakes to guide earth moving equipment operators in
sloping highways and fill embankments, using measuring instruments
and hand tools: Reads survey stakes along highway right-of-way to
determine grade specification for embankment
- Measures horizontally and vertically, in specified ratio, from
survey stake to juncture of embankment and initial excavation,
using survey rod and eye level.
- Sets grade stakes, using hatchet, and chalk-marks excavation
reference points on stake.
- Repeats measuring and staking at specified intervals to form
horizontal stake lines along embankment.
- Observes excavating activities to verify conformance to stake
references and notifies equipment operators or supervisor of
- Must be a strong communicator and be in constant contact with
the earthmovers, paver operators, truck drivers and general
- Must work quickly, productively and safely to meet production
goals as outlined by the Foreman, Superintendent and/or Production
Manager and concerning daily production schedule.
- Must be an advocate of safety and follow safety policies and
- Actively participate in job-site and safety meetings and all
Company related training.
- Inspect, clean and maintain equipment and machinery.
- May set up and tear down equipment.
- Maintain a clean job site; pick up all tools, equipment, and
secure job site each day.
- Understand material handling and storage in compliance with SDS
- Coordinate and work with contractors, sub-contractors and
vendors to complete job.
- Serve as front-line Company representative and must provide
excellent service to the customer and to the public.
- Use equipment and/or an assortment of hand tools such as rakes,
shovels, wheel barrels, etc.
- Perform all other general laborer work as needed.
- Any and all other duties assigned. Please note this job
description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required
of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and
activities may change at any time with or without
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.COMPETENCIES
- C ustomer Focus - Customer Orientation
- O wnership - Results Driven, Performance, Time and Stress
Management and Composure
- R elationships - Teamwork Orientation, Diversity and
- E thics - Honesty, Integrity, Do the Right Thing
- S AFETY - The Foundation of Everything We Do Safety
- This position is considered a safety-sensitive position and is
subject to the company's drug and alcohol policy, as well as all
- All employees must wear the appropriate personal protective
- Serves as a safety ambassador by complying with federal, state
and local laws, as well as Company safety policy, enforces safe
work practices, and proactively identifies and remedies worksite
hazards.Physical Demands and Work Environment
- This position operates at professional construction sites,
requiring the ability to communicate with verbally others on site,
in person and over the telephone, ability to read printed
materials, signs and directions, stamina to maintain attention
despite interruptions, ability to lift, push, pull, carry, handle
or feel objects, supplies, tools, machinery and/or controls
weighing up to 50 pounds and reach with hands and arms; climb
stairs and/or ladders; balance, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl,
lift overhead, traverse around or otherwise position one's self
around the required work and safety requirements to navigating and
perform activities on various construction sites in a safe
- Will be required to work on project sites and operate vehicles,
trailers, machinery, equipment and other tools within local, state
and federal safety guidelines.
- This position operates in a professional field environment. The
position requires working outside, frequently for long periods of
time in all weather, including extreme hot and cold
- While working, the employee might be exposed to various
chemicals, vapors, pollutants, virus or other air-borne pathogens,
gases, uneven surfaces, loud noises, moving vehicles or machines
and dust/debris.POSITION TYPE/ EXPECTED HOURS
- This is a full time position. Occasional evening and weekend
work may be required as job duties demand.TRAVEL
- Must be willing to travel to any and all jobsites without
exception (including staying away from home if necessary.) MINIMUM
QUALIFICATIONSEducation, Work Experience and Requirements
- A high school diploma or GED is preferred.
- Six (6) months to one (1) year related experience is
- Must be fluent in English, i.e., must be able to speak, read
and write English. Certifications, Licenses, and Registrations
- A valid driver's license and a clean motor-vehicle record
- Passing a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and
background check is required.AAP/EEO STATEMENTSunland Asphalt is an
equal employment opportunity employer.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Keywords: Sunland Asphalt, Tucson , Grade Checker, Education / Teaching , Tucson, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!