Infrastructure Systems Manager
Company: Planetary Science Institute
Posted on: November 26, 2022
*Title: Infrastructure Systems Manager*
Location: Tucson, AZ
Employee Type: Full-Time
Hours Per Week: 40
Relocation Covered: Possible
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: $90,000 - $110,000 DOE
Benefits: Medical and dental insurance, life insurance, disability,
retirement plan, and more.
*PSI will not sponsor applicants for work visas.*
*Summary Job Description: *
The Planetary Science Institute (PSI) is seeking to hire an
Infrastructure Systems Manager to ensure the reliability,
stability, security, utility, and consistency of PSI's onsite and
cloud-based computing infrastructure. This position will also work
with the IT manager and scientists to facilitate a dynamic research
environment by providing researchers with technical ideas,
solutions, and infrastructure. Duties to include off-hour systems
support. Position will have a supervisory role.
*Work Environment: *
PSI is a virtual organization with over 180 members dispersed
across many states and countries. There is a main office in Tucson,
AZ and a satellite office in Lakewood, CO. The main server room and
collocation facilities are in Tucson. All three sites are linked
via a Layer 2 tunnel. There is a mixture of onsite hardware and
cloud-hosted services. PSI also has an onsite high-performance
*Primary Responsibilities/Activities: System, Security, and Network
- Develop, design, implement, and oversee the infrastructure.
- Analyze PSI's computer and communications system and identify
components that could be altered to better suit PSI's needs.
- Conduct complex technical evaluation and design review, and
propose essential changes in performance adjustments, physical
architecture, and infrastructure design.
- Maintain current patch levels on server firmware and operating
- Analyze and address daily system and service logs for potential
- Setup onsite and cloud server monitoring systems and respond to
automated notifications of system emergency triggers.
- Maintain and modify as necessary server-based software firewalls
- Ensure systems and applications (custom and off-the-shelf) adhere
to the organization's security policies.
- Maintain network segments (intranet, extranet, DMZ, VOIP,
- Support the connectivity at branch office locations.
- Maintain onsite server room and collocation facilities.
- Interact with vendors on purchasing, licensing, and support.
- Juniper hardware (firewall and VPN) maintenance.
- Switch maintenance and configuration.
- Review infrastructure performance and security; recommends
upgrades and design improvements.
- Project manager for infrastructure-related projects.
- Manage IT technical support and security personnel, network
engineer, software developer (with respect to in-house
- Establish SLA and ensure staff adheres to that standard.
_Note: Management may assign or reassign duties and
responsibilities to this job at any time._
*Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: *
- Tomcat, Apache
- Enterprise user management systems (LDAP/Active Directory)
- Knowledge as a database administrator
- Linux system administration (Red Hat Enterprise Linux and
- Clustering, replication, and high-availability methodologies
- Red Hat KVM Server virtualization
- AWS and Azure cloud administration
- Google Workspace administration
- Pulse/Ivanti VPN appliances
- Juniper SRX gateways
- NAS hardware configuration and maintenance
- Configuration of security certificates (e.g., SSL for https)
- Networking and security concepts
- Layer 2 Tunneling
- Proven disaster recovery and business continuity experience
- Knowledge of the Windows, OS X, and Linux desktop
- Ability to support hardware via out-of-band and serial
- Project management
- Budgeting and recruitment
- Staff supervision
- Able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
*Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: *
- Red Hat certifications
- Support in collocation environments
- Zabbix or OSSIM monitoring systems
- HP, Pogo, and Penguin Computing storage units
- Virtual organization support
- Infrastructure support at an academic or non-profit research
- Bachelors or higher in computer science or related field, and
- Three or more years of experience supervising IT professionals in
an academic enterprise computing environment, and
- At least seven years of IT systems and network administration
experience in an academic enterprise computing environment, or
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or
*Must be able to perform essential physical, mental, and
environmental conditions of the job: *
- Mobility: frequent use of keyboard and mouse; frequent sitting
for long periods of time.
- Physical: may need to carry and lift equipment up to 50 pounds
and push or pull equipment on a hand truck or cart of up to 100
pounds. It may be necessary to bend, kneel, and reach to connect
and disconnect equipment. It may be necessary to handle objects to
build computer racks and shelves. Some tasks may require the use of
a foot stool or step ladder.
- Vision: constant use of overall vision; frequent reading and
close-up work; frequent color and occasional depth vision.
- Dexterity: frequent repetitive motion.
- Hearing/Talking: frequent hearing and talking, in-person and on
- Emotional/Psychological: frequent decision-making and
concentration; frequent independent work and learning; frequent
coordination of tasks with other co-workers; occasional off-hours
responsibilities; may on occasion need to speak to groups.
- Reading/Comprehension: frequent interpretation and understanding
of written (print and electronic) technical documentation, reports,
web research results and user requests.
- Environmental: periodic exposure to noise and cold in the server
*To apply for the position: *
If you are interested in applying for this position, have the
required skills, and you meet the minimum qualifications, please
submit the following documents:
* A cover letter that addresses your interest and qualifications
for this position.
* Completed Application and Voluntary Self-Identification form (can
be found on www.psi.edu).
Planetary Science Institute
1700 E. Ft. Lowell Rd., Suite 106
Tucson, AZ 85719
*PSI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration*
*for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability,
or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic
protected by law.*
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $90,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year
* Dental insurance
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Relocation assistance
* Retirement plan
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Planetary Science Institute, Tucson , Infrastructure Systems Manager, Executive , Tucson, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!