Physician (Emergency Medicine)
Company: US Department of Veteran Affairs
Posted on: September 13, 2018
The Southern Arizaon VA Health Care System (SAVAHCS) is the principal teaching affiliate with the University of Arizona Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy. Medical students, residents, and fellows rotate at our facility. Therefore, the selected candidate will also be eligible for an appointment with the University of Arizona. The SAVHACS is a tertiary care facility providing a full range of clinical services including cardiac surgery and neurosurgery. It has been a flagship quality provider within the VA and was a 2012 winner of the prestigious Robert W. Carey Performance Excellence Award. We are currently seeking skilled emergency physicians to provide care for acutely ill patients with complex medical problems who have served their country. All backup specialties are available to include neurosurgery ENT and GYN. We offer 10 hour shifts with double and triple coverage. The Emergency Department Physician Assistant sees less acute patients in triage. The incumbent will perform clinical duties in the 19-bed Emergency Department which operates 24/7 for the current 26,000 patients seen annually. Teaching and administrative opportunities are available. Successful candidates must be eligible for a faculty appointment at the University of Arizona. The University of Arizona EM residents and medical students rotate within the department. The physician is required to maintain ACLS/BLS/ Intubation proficiency and certification. Preferred experience: board certified or board eligible in Emergency Medicine. Work Schedule: Varied Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Clinical Contact: Dr. Joshua Appel, MD Emergency Dept. Director, ext. 5866, or . Federal Benefits for Full-Time Physicians:
- 26 days paid vacation per year
- 13 days sick leave per year
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days military leave per year for active reservists and National Guard
- Health and Life Insurance (may elect coverage into retirement)
- Pay for performance up to an amount equal to 7.5% of annual pay up to $15,000
- Authorized Absence for Continuing Medical Education
- Liability protection for Federal Employees
- Retirement - Federal Annuity Plan
- Thrift Savings Plan (TSP-tax deferred savings plan) Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below. Preferred Experience: board certified or board eligible in Emergency Medicine. Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office. Physical Requirements: Must be able to physically and mentally perform the duties in an outpatient setting under normal and emergent conditions. Heavy lifting 45 lbs and over with assistive devices, heavy carrying of 45 lbs and over with assistive devices; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers, both hands required, walking or standing up to 6 hours per day; repeated bending up to 2-4 hours per day; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination; near vision correctable; hearing aid permitted.None To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
- Resume OPTIONAL: VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractors can be found at: The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
Keywords: US Department of Veteran Affairs, Tucson , Physician (Emergency Medicine), Healthcare , Tucson, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!