Posted on: August 6, 2022
---POSITION: Staff Attorney
LOCATION: Phoenix, Tucson, or Flagstaff
START: Negotiable; ideally as soon as possible
DEADLINE: Open until filled
REPORTS TO: ACDL Legal Director/Deputy Legal Director, Managing
POSITION PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES:
The Staff Attorney will provide direct legal services, including
representation in negotiations, administrative hearings, and
litigation; develop self-advocacy materials in multi-media formats,
and provide legal rights training and information to educate people
with disabilities about their rights. The Staff Attorney will also
be responsible for working on a team to monitor state and private
facilities such as hospitals, nursing homes, Intermediate Care
Facilities, community facilities for individuals with disabilities,
board and care homes, homeless shelters, jails, and prisons for
abuse, neglect, and compliance with federal and state laws
protecting the rights of individuals with disabilities.
ACDL seeks a Staff Attorney to work on its Civil Rights and
Healthcare Teams to develop and pursue system reform cases designed
to expand community living opportunities, improve service systems
and supports, promote equal access, redefine standards of care for
persons with disabilities and enforce and expand civil rights
protections for people with disabilities.
1. Provides direct legal services to clients, including legal
consultations and representation during negotiations, alternative
dispute resolution procedures, administrative proceedings, and
litigation within established service and priority areas.
2. Investigates allegations of abuse and neglect, and writes
reports summarizing findings and trends.
3. Responds to requests for assistance, interviews potential
clients, and provides legal advice and information.
4. Develops and pursues systemic issues through various means,
including complex litigation.
5. Consults with experts, such as physicians, psychologists,
therapists, educators, and others to identify options and barriers
to individuals and groups of individuals with disabilities.
6. Conducts trainings and outreach activities.
7. Monitors state and private facilities and service providers for
abuse, neglect, and compliance with federal and state laws.
8. Attends required meetings, including staff meetings, in-service,
consumer advisory council, and other pertinent meetings as
9. Participates in case reviews with the Managing Attorney and
Legal Director/Deputy Legal Director, and maintains case files in
accordance with ACDL's file management policy.
10. Contributes to the development of written material including
multi-media training materials, such as guides, blogs, vlogs, and
podcasts, required reports, and articles for newsletters or other
11. Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation
of ACDL's goals and objectives.
12. Completes administrative requirements and necessary
documentation required by ACDL.
1. JD required
2. Must be licensed to practice law in Arizona (active, in good
3. Must have at least three years of experience in civil litigation
in federal or state court and/or before state or federal
4. The attorney should be familiar with disability services and
5. Excellent research, writing, and analytic skills.
6. The ability to work as a team, as well as take direction and
independently follow through on all instructions.
7. High level of commitment to service excellence, plus high
degrees of integrity, ethics, and judgment.
8. Excellent interpersonal, relationship-building, and
collaboration skills to be able to work effectively with others
inside and outside of the organization.
1. Five years of experience in civil litigation in federal or state
court and/or before state or federal administrative agencies.
2. Demonstrated interest and commitment to civil rights or public
3. Working knowledge and understanding of relevant disability and
civil rights laws, including federal statutes (Americans with
Disabilities Act, - 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Medicaid),
and state laws.
4. Knowledge of Arizona healthcare and mental healthcare
5. Experience in development and litigation of complex and systemic
cases is highly desirable, including designing and implementing
remedial orders in system reform litigation.
6. Experience working with individuals with disabilities.
7. Knowledge of the Protection & Advocacy system.
The Staff Attorney usually performs work in an office environment,
but the mission of the organization and employment duties may
sometimes take a Staff Attorney to non-standard workplaces, such as
healthcare facilities and prisons.
The Staff Attorney will be expected to travel within and outside
the state, as necessary.
ACDL offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on
experience and is competitive with other public interest law firms.
Employment benefits include generous leave, health, dental, life
insurance, and a 401(k) retirement plan. ACDL observes all federal
The purpose of this position description is to serve as a general
summary and overview of the major duties and responsibilities of
the job. -It is not intended to represent the entirety of the job
nor is it intended to be all-inclusive. -Management reserves the
right to modify or rescind this position description at any time,
with or without prior notice.
ACDL values diversity and strongly encourages and welcomes people
of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community
and people with diverse life experiences and backgrounds to apply.
Keywords: ACDL, Tucson , Staff Attorney, Legal , Tucson, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!