Are you intrigued by guided hypersonic vehicle design and
Do you have a strong desire to work on projects that are
critical to the defense of our nation?
Do you enjoy working on dynamic teams where you share knowledge
and learn from others?
If you can answer "yes" to these questions, we need you!
We are Raytheon Missiles and Defense (RMD), an innovative
technology leader specializing in defense, security, and civilian
markets. Youll be part of a diverse global team working together to
solve some of the most demanding engineering challenges on the
planet. We are seeking motivated individuals with interest and
expertise in missile systems design specifically for hypersonic
applications . We offer competitive salaries, bonus structure,
excellent benefits, and a comprehensive relocation package.
This is a technical position focused on systems design,
integration, and performance assessment of hypersonic missile
systems. The ideal candidate will apply knowledge of hypersonic
systems to the analysis of missile performance in both simulation
and flight test environments. The systems design and performance
engineer will develop solutions to complex problems that require
application of advanced technical principles. The role often
requires acting independently to uncover and resolve issues
associated with the development and implementation of hypersonic
systems design. The individual will represent the organization as
an expert within their technical field while working with senior
leadership to plan and execute program milestones to accomplish
Key Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
* Development of hypersonic systems architectures and
* Knowledge of system engineering design methods including
requirements analysis and flow down.
* Concept development and execution of trade studies for
hypersonic missile applications.
* Development of overall system integration plan and subsystem
strategy for design, analysis, and testing.
* Assessing system interface and integration risks through
simulation and flight test data analysis.
* Development of systems models for use in high fidelity
* Implementation of advanced guidance algorithms to maximize
performance of hypersonic systems.
* Coding of algorithms in higher order computer languages to
support simulation development.
* Performance analysis by simulation and flight test, including
verification and validation techniques.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an
active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment .
Note: This position can be Salary Grade G09 (Senior Systems
Engineer II) or Salary Grade G10 (Principal Systems Engineer) based
upon the applicants qualifications as they relate to the skills,
experience and responsibility requirements of the position.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience (Senior Systems
* Bachelors Degree in engineering disciplines, natural or
physical sciences, mathematics, or physics.
* Six (6) years of Guidance, Navigation and Controls Engineering
or Systems Engineering experience
* Two (2) years of professional experience in hypersonic or
supersonic aircraft or missile system design and analysis using
high fidelity simulations.
* Experience conducting trade studies to analyze and enhance
* Prior work experience developing or modifying code in higher
level languages like FORTRAN, Ada, C++, and/or MATLAB to support
embedded software development and/or hardware/software
* United States citizenship
* Must be able to obtain a Department of Defense Secret
* Must be willing to relocate to Tucson, AZ (comprehensive
relocation package available)
Desired Education, Skills and Experience:
* MS or PhD in aforementioned disciplines. ABET is the
preferred, although not required, accreditation standard
* Prior experience performing analysis of hypersonic /
supersonic air vehicle attributes in either simulation or flight
* Research and/or applied experience in advanced hypersonics
systems design techniques such as:
* Development of hypersonic guidance algorithm architectures and
* Optimal guidance theory, trajectory shaping, estimation
theory, analysis of random processes, non-linear Kalman filters,
and/or particle filters.
* Advanced control techniques such as adaptive control,
nonlinear control, or integrated guidance and control.
* Development of hypersonic autopilot topologies and
* Development of hypersonic aerodynamic configurations and
* Conducting high-speed wind tunnel tests and CFD analysis to
predict aerodynamic effects.
* Analyzing the effects of the high-speed environment on RADAR
and RF systems.
* Demonstrated experience taking a hypersonic missile design
from concept to flight test with expertise verifying subsystem
performance from simulation and post-flight data analysis.
* Experience in model development and testing with proven
knowledge of fundamental concepts and a high level of analytical
capability to drive technical solutions.
* Concept development to generate the specifications and
documentation necessary to support architecture design and
integration of requirements into simulation and tactical
* Career development skills, including written and oral
communication skills and the ability to work in a team
* Familiarity and knowledge of systems engineering and analysis
for interfacing with multiple engineering disciplines.
* Ability to operate independently with minimal supervision as
well as part of a team.
* Ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership and
other engineering disciplines.
* Coupled analysis, specifically aero/thermal/structural
* Experience leading a program focused development team, with
understanding of how to balance and drive system performance and
* Well known with established relationships in the defense
community including the hypersonics technical domain, with patents
and publications in applicable technical areas a plus.
Check us out on YouTube!
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual
orientation, gender orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability, or protected Veteran status.