Transmission Planning Engineer I, II, III, or IV
Company: Tucson Electric Power Co Inc
Posted on: June 9, 2021
UNS Energy Corporation, headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, is a
subsidiary of Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned electric and
gas distribution utility in Canada. UNS Energy Corporation's public
utility subsidiaries, Tucson Electric Power Company, UNS Electric,
Inc. and UNS Gas, Inc., provide electric and gas service to
customers in southern and northern Arizona. For more information
about UNS Energy Corporation, visit http://www.uns.com.
Tucson Electric Power provides safe, reliable electric service
to approximately 414,000 customers in Southern Arizona. Although
our company has been in business for more than 120 years, we
continue to look for innovative ways of providing value, comfort,
convenience and security to our customers every day. We're
evaluating cutting-edge energy technologies, reshaping our energy
portfolio and expanding our renewable power and energy-efficiency
programs. While our line of work can be challenging, it can also be
rewarding. Our team of dedicated professionals values engagement,
enthusiasm, innovation and collaboration.
In return, TEP offers a competitive compensation and benefits
package that includes a 401k plan with a generous company match, a
company-sponsored pension plan, tuition reimbursement, life
insurance, long-term disability insurance and much more.
We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position
of Transmission Planning Engineer I, II, III, or IV. The successful
candidate will perform technical transmission planning functions
including development of power flow base cases, conducting
contingency analyses, evaluating analysis results, modeling and
evaluating alternative solutions to mitigate identified issues,
performing transient stability simulations, ensuring compliance
with NERC Planning Standards and WECC System Performance Criteria ,
and recommending projects based on planning studies.
- Develops long range transmission plans in compliance with NERC
Planning Standards, WECC System Performance Criteria, and TEP
requirements to meet capital budget and applicable regulatory
- Develops and evaluates requirements, specifications, and
optimum alternatives for EHV and HV transmission and substation
facilities for planning and budgeting purposes.
- Coordinates with Engineering, System Control & Reliability,
Engineering Project Management, Land & Environmental and other
groups to facilitate a clear understanding of transmission system
issues, thereby developing technically and economically feasible
- Develops and updates TEP's EHV and HV transmission planning
process and guidelines for long term planning.
- Performs engineering analysis of future EHV and HV transmission
- Develops and maintains an effective level of expertise and
understanding of applicable NERC Planning Standards, WECC System
Performance Criteria, and TEP criteria. Ensures that standards,
criteria and requirements are understood and consistently
- Develops and maintains an effective level of expertise in the
use of power flow, transient and voltage stability, and other
related applications and databases as required to perform
transmission planning duties.
- Performs transmission system Feasibility, System Impact and
other studies related to generator and transmission interconnection
requests, and/or transmission service requests, in accordance with
the TEP or UNSE Open Access Transmission Tariff (OATT). This
activity involves timely coordination of multiple requests with the
transmission coordinator and personnel in the Legal, Engineering,
System Control & Reliability, Land & Environmental and Engineering
Project Management areas. Directs professional consultants who
conduct these studies.
- Coordinates with WECC and other appropriate entities on
development, testing, validation and implementation of FACTS,
renewable generator, composite load and other models for use in
power flow, transient stability, voltage stability, and other
- Conducts or directs professional consultants in studies of
individual or cumulative impacts of renewable generation design and
operating characteristics on the stable operation of the
- Provides required data in a timely and accurate manner.
- Participates in regional transmission planning activities with
WECC, regional and sub-regional planning groups, and other
utilities in accordance with applicable FERC regulations.
- Provides technical support as necessary for TEP's involvement
in Open Access Transmission Tariff and Two County
- Trains and assists new personnel within the section.
- Reports to the Transmission Planning Manager and performs
assignments as requested.
- This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company
subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (Equivalent combination of
education and experience will be considered)
- Requires a BS in Electrical Engineering or related educational
equivalent. Combination of education and experience may be
considered. Master's degree preferred.
- Requires familiarity with and the ability to run power flow and
stability programs (GE PSLF preferred), Microsoft Office, and other
- Requires the ability to present study results and
recommendations before company and other personnel as well as the
ability to write professional technical reports.
- Ability to travel as required to support the Transmission
Transmission Planning Engineer I
- Develops WECC base cases. Able to work on part of large
Transmission Planning Engineer II
- Performs planning type studies. Able to attend inter-company
meetings and report activities.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out functions of Engineer I.
Transmission Planning Engineer III
- Performs both planning and operating type studies; performs
more complex studies or completes multiple phases of a study. Able
to develop workplans for small projects; serves as user interface
with system operators. Able to represent Transmission Planning at
inter-company meetings and report activities.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out functions of Engineer II
Transmission Planning Engineer IV
- Able to develop workplans for larger projects.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out functions of Engineer
Keywords: Tucson Electric Power Co Inc, Tucson , Transmission Planning Engineer I, II, III, or IV, Other , Tucson, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!