Juvenile Detention Officer
Company: Pima County Juvenile Court Center
Posted on: November 24, 2022
Responsible for the safety and well-being of youth referred to
the Juvenile Court Detention Center. Develops positive working
relationships with youth.
Monitors and maintains a structured, caring, safe, healthy,
learning environment for youth. Monitors and maintains security and
control of the structured detention environment.
*Do you remember a person you looked up to when you were a
Maybe they helped you perfect a skill, taught you how to do
something new, or gave the best advice for dealing with
disagreements. Experience the fulfillment of helping our youth meet
their goals and develop new skills in a therapeutic
*Exceptional benefits: *
* Corrections Officers Retirement Plan (CORP)
* Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
* Paid vacation, 11 holidays, and 12 days of sick leave
* 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave
* Employer-paid Short -term Disability
* Tuition Reimbursement $5,250 per year
* Wellness discount program
Unused Sick time can rollover to vacation time for the following
*Starting pay is $17.00/ hour. Salary scheduled increases: *
Year 1 -- $17.85/hour
Year 2-- $18.74/ hour
Year 3-- $19.68/hour
Voluntary Overtime Available and Paid Training with Advancement
*Three (3) shifts - 6 AM - 2 PM, 2 PM - 10 PM, and 10 PM - 6
Shift are decided at time of offer by Hiring manager based on needs
of the department. Some positions are eligible for Evening or Night
*Essential Functions: *
* Implements and delivers programs to youth, supporting detention
philosophy, goals and objectives.
* Provides effective role modeling and mentoring to youth in the
* Instructs youths on various skills for future use and success,
such as anger management, filling out employment applications, and
understanding employment processes.
* Observes the behaviors of youth and situations that occur,
recalls facts and prepares written reports.
* Determines detainee rule infractions, takes appropriate action,
and reports violations and incidents.
* Maintains rosters and daily logs, and prepares incident,
discipline and progress reports.
* Performs in processing of new detainees, which includes a safety
and security check of their person and property. Follows
in-processing procedures and orients the youths to the booking
* Escorts youth to and from courtrooms and throughout the facility.
Drives a court vehicle to transport youth to various appointments
external to the center.
* Reacts to physical confrontations and emergency situations
quickly and effectively using sanctioned defensive tactics
* Applies restraining techniques requiring physical strength and
coordination when necessary. Assists other officers who are
involved with detained youth.
*Minimum Qualifications: *
Must be a minimum of 21 years of age,
Must be a United States citizen or have legal resident status,
Must have a high school diploma or equivalent G.E.D.
*All candidates must successfully complete: *
Drug screening, Tuberculosis (TB) testing and Pre Employment
Certification of physical fitness for duty.
\*The physical certification is determined by a physician in a
medical office setting.
*LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES: *
A valid Arizona Driver's License is required at the time of
*PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS: *
Typically performs duties in a secure institution and may lift a
detainee, materials, or equipment of 50 lbs or less. Incumbents are
required to stand and walk for at least half of their scheduled
work shift and physically required to bend, reach, kneel, crouch,
crawl and stoop.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $17.00 per hour
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Employee discount
* Flexible spending account
* Health savings account
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Parental leave
* Referral program
* Retirement plan
* Tuition reimbursement
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* Are you 21 years of age or older? Must be 21 years of age or
older to work with Juveniles in Detention.
* High school or equivalent (Required)
* Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Pima County Juvenile Court Center, Tucson , Juvenile Detention Officer, Other , Tucson, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!